This week, for me, ends another graduate class, of which I’m now spending time finishing up grading. One of my favorite questions for the last discussion board is their take-away’s from the course. It is very uplifting and heartfelt when you see that the material covered has ‘sunk in’ and made a difference.
For leaders, doing the same type of review is important to see what their ‘lessons-learned’ have been, and to see results the team has made and how the leader has impacted these results. These reviews can be done daily, weekly or monthly (preferable) to keep on-track with goals and results earned. It also ensures that problems have been handled well and assesses the status of relationships with their workers.
So what goes into such as review? Here are questions to use and adapt in a leader’s assessment:
- What worked well – what were the ‘wins’?
- What can I do more of to build on?
- What did not work well?
- What do I need to stop doing?
- What has gotten in the way of being effective in my role?
- Did I access appropriate resources to get the work done, whether in people, outside resources, or tools?
- Have I addressed any employee issues or conflicts that have occurred? Have I met with the employee in a 1:1 meeting to get to the root of the problem and coached them for a positive resolution?
- Have I met regularly with the team? Have I encouraged and supported them?
- Have I maintained good relationships with my upline and other partners in the organization? Have I encouraged this with my employees?
- How has my attitude and outlook been? Have I worked on this?
- Have I communicated effectively, ensuring that my message is heard the same by all?
- Have I worked on my personal development and self-care? What actions did I take?
- What are my ‘next’ goals?
These are just a few questions to assess and reflect on, all with the intent to build off current successes and move on to the new day/week/month’s goals. We can’t go forward if we don’t know where we’ve been; self-awareness and assessment is the way to start.
If you need help or would like support/accountability in completing your self-assessment and making plans to lead more effectively, let’s talk; contact us today at http://www.cyscoaching.com