Being a life-long learner who is always working on my personal/professional development, I am always looking for resources to support my efforts, as well as looking for ones that will maximize my time. Also, being a person who likes to connect people with other people and resources that will support them to live more fully, I thought I’d pass on 3 applications that will keep you ‘in the know’ and advance your personal/professional development. These apps are mobile, meaning you can download them for your smartphone or tablet and take them with you wherever you go, so now there are no excuses. Hope you enjoy!
For those that like to read, this app allows you access to over 2,000 book reviews and recommendations so you can see what is popularly read before you buy. It also allows those book authors the opportunity to promote their book(s). Go to: http://www.goodreads.com
- For those who prefer to watch speakers in action via videos, this app promotes “ideas worth spreading” and gives you access to over 1400 talks. Go to: http://www.tedtalks.com
- For those who would like to learn a new language, or to increase their grammar and spelling, this app allows you access to 13 languages, in either a basic or advanced version for free. Go to: http://www.babbel.com
This past week, we lost another great ‘thought leader’ and influencer – Steven Covey, who wrote the book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1989). This book, for me, was a life-changer as I found the ability to get more focused and organized on goals and tasks needed to accomplish them. It showed me how to be more attentive to my own behaviors in order to be more effective in both my personal and professional life. It is a book that I would highly recommend to move your life forward. Here are the subjects covered:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive
- Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
- Habit 3: First Things First
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
- Habit 6: Synergize
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
I think Habit 5 is one I focus on as it deals with communication, which leads to effective interpersonal relationships and are applicable to personal and business dealings. I have carried a Franklin Covey planner for years and still practice the habits today. Repetition is key so go learn and develop your habits to be more effective in all areas of your life!