I hope that the new year so far going well for you and that you are taking massive action on goals you’ve set. Action, no matter how big or small, is what will get you to achieve your goals if the actions are consistent.
This is the perfect time to set your career intentions, which can apply for new desires or to recommit to your present career path. Some career intentions may include:
- to find a new job
- to move into a leadership position
- to transition into a different industry
- to keep your current job
- to perform at a higher level at your current job
- to go out on your own as a consultant or start your own business
- to increase your personal development by reading books, attending conferences or joining related associations
- to get a degree or certified for your profession or in a resource tool, i.e. assessment tool (MBTI), project management, QI, PHR/SPHR, MBA
Setting your intention will pave the way for you to define your specific goals and the steps to take you there. When you set the intention, you are making a commitment to you and your future by creating a clear picture of where you want your career to take you. It also increases the commitment to yourself which increase your self-esteem, confidence and you self-actualize to be all that you can be.
Here are a couple of ways that you can set your career intention:
1. Write out a vision statement for where you want your career to go (“I want to become a manager by June 30”)
2. Make a list of your job duties and note which ones you enjoy and those you don’t
3. Of those you enjoy, decide how you can maintain or improve them
4. Of those you don’t, think about how you can modify them, own them or enhance your skill in this area
5. Decide on a path that will enhance your career; do you need to get a degree or a certification and then investigate the steps needed
6. Set your intention to commit to making the changes you have listed above. Write these and keep them visual. Monitor your progress and your results as you move forward.
7. Set a start -and end – date and take action NOW.
Setting intentions can get your career started on the right path and make 2013 a success!
If you would like some direction and assistance in planning your career, we can help. Contact us today for a free discovery session at http://www.cyscoaching.com. We can help you get more focused, set your intentions and create a plan that is workable and creates the career you desire.